When a child is injured or faces a serious illness, Rady Children’s Hospital in San Diego is there to offer life-saving care. Recognized as one of the best children’s hospitals in the nation, Rady Children’s Hospital in San Diego is only able to provide this innovative and high-impact care because of contributions from the San Diego community.
Each year Carl DeMaio has helped raise funds for Rady Children’s Hospital using his network of supporters and listeners to his radio show on NewsRadio KOGO. On December 7 and 8 DeMaio will be hosting a live “Give-a-Thon” on the radio to help the hospital reach its annual fundraising goal before the deadline.
“Each year Rady Children’s Hospital provides care to nearly 300,000 children – and carries out nearly 100,000 emergency care visits,” says DeMaio.
DeMaio adds that in too many cases families do not have the financial means to cover the care needed for their child. “That’s where contributions from the community come in – to provide the funding for the best possible care for every child,” DeMaio says.
Contributing to Rady Children’s Hospital is not just covering financial aid, but helping fund medical breakthroughs in child healthcare. “By supporting breakthrough treatments through community contributions, miracles are happening for these kids,” says DeMaio.
Rady Children’s Hospital By the Numbers:
- Provided care to 281,924 children.
- Had 17,783 inpatient admissions.
- Had 265,869 outpatient visits.
- Provided care to 868 trauma patients. (CY 2021)
- Had 96,360 emergency care visits and 51,107 urgent care visits.
- Performed 17,695 surgeries.
- Performed 383 heart surgeries and attended to 30,874 outpatient visits at our cardiology clinics. To date, we have performed 51 heart transplants. More on our Heart Institute.
- Cared for 300 newly diagnosed cancer patients, attended to 16,811 outpatient visits and provided 31 blood and marrow transplants, and 7 CAR T-cell treatments at our Peckham Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders.
- Provided trauma counseling to 593 children and parents at our Chadwick Center for Children & Families.
- Evaluated or treated 723 children at our Autism Discovery Institute.
- Had 75,890 visits to our orthopedic and rehabilitation clinics, including the 360 Sports Medicine program. More on our Orthopedics & Scoliosis Center.